Friday, December 13, 2013

Prize Fighter! But I aint no good.

Attention grammar Nazis. It's from a song. Let it go.

I don't live the most pain free life
Boxin' for money for my kids and my wife
Cauliflower ear and a flattened nose
My body aches from my head to my toes

Well I make my money fightin' yeah, that's what I do
That's why my arms are broke cuz you know I always lose
When I'm in the ring I swing, can't hit anything at all
Prize Fighter!

Prize Fighter! But I ain't no good
Prize Fighter! Did the best I could

You know I have a  heart baby, it's made of gauze
It's those uppercuts that put me in a fog
It don't mean much to me, it don't mean anything at all
Prize Fighter!

"Prize Fighter" - The Heroes

Click to download it FREE The Heroes - Prize Fighter

Let's talk about FUN! Wait a sec, did Ron take an uppercut? I'm not making the connection here. There are many reasons we attach to our running/races - health, being the best we can, causes such as MS, cancer, abuse, military or any number of things. I'm not making light of that and we'll have plenty of time for introspection and serious matters later. What I AM talking about is running for yourself and having fun.

That's all fine you say, but what's up with the boxing?
Simply put, this song puts a smile on my face. My theme song if you will. It makes a direct correlation to how I picture my running. Not in a down, self-pity way but in a heck yea, I'm going to keep doing it no matter what way. You can almost picture the run version.

I don't live the most pain free life
Running 100 milers with my friends and my wife
Cauliflower knees from the downhill I suppose
My body aches and I've blistered my toes

You know I don't run baby, it's more like a jog
It's that high altitude that puts me in a fog
It don't mean much to me if I don't win anything at all
Ultrarunner!

Ultrarunner! But I ain't no good.
Ultrarunner! I did the best I could.

You'll get the feel better if you go out and download the song. The point is, find your theme song! I don't mean that literally, although it could be. Find what makes you happy about why you're out there. Music, friends, dancing on the trail, pushing for the victory, solo runs at night, white sweatpants, tutus, because people don't think you can, WHATEVER. Don't let others dictate why you do what you do or at what pace you do it. My saying is run for yourself and you'll never be disappointed.

So download the song (The Heroes - Prize Fighter), put it on your device of choice and go running. Scream out Prrriiiize Fighter! during the chorus' and do your best Rocky imitation.

And find your theme song.

2 comments:

  1. I love the attitude, Ron! I never listen to headphones while running or riding, but the soundtrack in my brain is always running.

    ReplyDelete