Thursday, December 26, 2013

My #1 Fan (and sponsor)

"I don't think he wants to talk right now."

This is the half of the cellphone conversation I hear the BW say to my mom as I have my hands on my knees after a 30 minute mile and meltdown at mile 94 of my first 100. When I told my mom that I was going to do a 100 miler, she was less than thrilled. Ok, maybe just really worried like a mom would be. I take that back. She was less than thrilled.

That didn't stop her from being 100% supportive though. Moms worry. That's what they do. She (and my stepdad John, aka a real dad) came to a marathon the BW and I did in SD, and even though I had a PR at the time, I developed a huge cramp about a mile from the finish. Needless to say, I was doing an awesome imitation of pirate peg leg when I crossed the finish and one of the volunteers kind of  grabbed and propped me up when I finished. Now this might embarrass her a little, but as I'm standing there catching my breath, Bobbie says "You better talk to your mom, she's crying a little bit". Going over to her I ask what's wrong, and through a little sob she says "I don't know". We both laugh and all is well. Just a mom being a mom.

My parents came over for Christmas Eve before everyone else and of course the talk is about Western States. Apparently mom has been spending a lot of time on the WS website! It looks like they may even take vacation at that time so they can be there for the race. She hands me an envelope and says this doesn't have anything to do with Christmas.

 


This doesn't have anything to do with money, and everything to do with my mom always encouraging and being there for me. Always.

Love ya mom!
-YOUR #1 fan

*note* - Probably more aptly titled "Tie for #1 fan" since the love of my life is always there...but she'll probably get a separate post. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment