Tuesday, December 24, 2013

A Little Christmas F(R)un

What the heck is a 20k solo relay?
Our friend Bryan West sent out an event invite for the "First Annual Christmas 20k Solo Relay, December 23-29". What do we have here? A quick read through revealed that as a fun solo race, people would pick any one of the inclusive days and run four 5k's separated by ideally 6hrs in one 24hr span. Knowing the difficulty of scheduling around this time of year, a more lenient do the best you can attitude was granted within still trying to do four separate 5k runs. There's still plenty of time to jump in, so if you want, attend the Facebook event and scroll down to get your own bib to print out.

Christmas 20k Solo Relay

Cool bibs, but I figured if I'm my own personal RD, I deserved a personalized version

Leg #1 - Blair YMCA
Bobbie & I were going to hit the yoga class after work, so I decided to start my relay at 5:15pm. BANG! An uneventful 5k beside a number of other people, none of which could pull away from me to get the party started.

Leg #2 - Seeing how this might be my only outside run, I decided to man up and take it to the streets.
10:20pm, zero degrees, several layers of clothes and off we go. And it was all I thought it could be! Most definitely one of those alone runs where you can just soak in the silence and enjoy the Christmas lights. I did pause to wonder what would happen if I saw a cop. Not a soul out on the streets because it's freezing, but here's a dude running down the sidewalk with a ski mask on.


Yukon Cornelious

Leg #3 - Nothing like 5k on the treadmill and an episode of Moonshiners at 7:30am.

Leg #4 - Here comes the finish! Huh? Must have been a loop course. 11:30am and Moonshiners is still on.


1st Place finisher in the Solo 20k Relay

                                      
Things like this help put things in perspective. Enjoy what you're doing. Go out and run in the middle of the night and dare the cops to catch you! Do things you'll be called an idiot for. Print out that bid and make some memories.

To close out this Christmas edition, I'd like to thank my Beautiful Wifey for another awesome Christmas of love and support and may God's blessing be on all of you.

Merry Christmas!

1 comment: