Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Prairie Spirit 100 race report


 Our 5th staight year of the Post Oak Double in Tulsa worked out well as a 50k last long run about three weeks out from Prairie Spirit. Unfortunately, it seemed things got in the way after that and the BW and I didn't get much in the way of quality runs after. Well, that's never stopped us before, so it's off to see the wizard. We stopped to pick up Brett (Brett and the BW were doing the 50M) mid morning on Friday for the drive down and only made it a few blocks until the mandatory stop at Chick-Fil-A. With the important stuff out of the way, it was uneventful down to Ottawa. With the short trip, we were actually able to just hang out some at the motel before the meal/packet pickup and got a chance to visit with Christy and Jeff as they were only a few rooms down. We had a good meal, chatted with Adam, Eric, Justin, Warren and other various Epic Ultra crew, and connected with Kelvin and Jess for a visit (Kelvin, a TATUR, was also running the 100) and headed back to the room to finish up the last minute stuff. In case you're wondering, Brett says he doesn't snore. Brett lies. But in his defense he did stop around midnight.

A 4:45 wakeup and we're off to the start line. Temps were in the 40s and only a light breeze so I went with shorts and long sleeve shirt as the day looked good. The 100 milers take off for a short 2 mile out and back and it starts sleeting big time. Whaaaaaa? Didn't see that in my weather forecast. This worries me as my coat is 51.25 miles away and I won't see any crew before then. Luckily it stops pretty quickly and the first several miles are rather enjoyable as I'm able to hang with TATURS Roman, Kathy, John and a few others. We roll into Princeton (mile 9.5) and only stay long enough to get a bottle filled. I did meet Crystal Lutgen for the first time who was doing a fine job helping the runners. The merry band of runners had kind of broken apart at this point, so it was back to my normal solo race up to the next aid station at Richmond (16 miles). It's another grab and go stop that lasts less than a minute and off to Garnett. Up until this point the wind hadn't really been an issue, but the couple of miles leading into Garnett had brutal headwind coming straight down the trail. I hit the Garnett train station (about 25 miles) in really good shape but stopped long enough to grease up. Side note - Russell, Arnold, Polly and everyone at Garnett are awesome. They put a lot of time in running aid stations.
 
  At this point, my crew/pacer Spoon was on his way from IA to meet me at the turnaround. As an added bonus a couple of days before I found out The Carrot would also be making the journey to help out. From our previous talks I think they were surprised that I got to Garnett as soon as I did, but they would still have plenty of time to beat me to Iola.

Although I was still moving decent, when I'm over 30 miles the "newness" of the race is pretty much wearing off and I was glad I was getting close to Welda (33.5). As I come around the corner to drop into the aid station, I'm sure the look on my face was priceless. Standing out in the middle was The Sh!t!!! Apparently people were good at keeping a secret from me, as I had no clue Richelle and the girls were coming. I told Richelle later that she pretty much saved my race. You cannot underestimate how getting a surprise like that cheers you up. Not only that, but she hooked me up with a full Orange Mud bottle of Coke and ice and some sour watermelon candy (My favorite from Ourey). Once more a pretty short stop and on my way. The trip to Colony (41.25) was uneventful and once again there were my new crew to see what I needed. Yes, I'll have more sour watermelon please. My watch had died, but about .25 out of the aid station I picked up the trail mile markers so I could still judge mileage. About mile 50 I check my watch and was pretty surprised to note that I had just hit my best 50 mile time. This kept me going the next 1.25 to get in Iola and the turnaround. Even my 51.25 check in time was better than my best 50 mile race.
 
  I met up with the whole crew here and got a bite to eat, greased my feet and popped a blister. Seems like here may have been the point that I could really feel some chaffing coming on even though I am not shy about "lubing up". I cannot stress enough how awesome my friends are or thank them enough for all their help. Richelle will touch your feet when they're nasty and every one of them were right there asking what I needed and getting it for me. Hopefully I said thanks several times. Good decision or not I took 10 minutes and laid on the ground with my feet up in the chair to try and get some blood flow back the other way and take a little load of my feet. 
 
Larry & I took off on the return trip, which unfortunately for those guys would basically be an overnight hike as my left hip was getting pretty tired. We had a lot of good conversation and improper inside jokes going as we made it back to Colony and almost the 100k (61.25). At this point it takes a bit to get moving again as it seems any stop however short tends to lock you up. Apparently Larry hasn't had enough of Sluggo pace and he stays on for the next section. The weather stayed in the 40s I think, but this section was really cold with the wind (numerous people mentioned that they didn't plan enough for that). Windbreaker with a hood and my OM beanie did the trick though. The moon was pretty bright and we didn't even use our headlamps through the night. It actually makes it easier (when there's nothing to trip on). I think somewhere in this section is when I started slowing pretty substantially, but still came in to Welda (69) doing fairly well and still with an awesome crew. Gary was on deck for the next couple of sections and we headed out. A lot of talk about all the cool stuff our friends had done, Ultra lies and what was coming up that we would be stupid enough to enter got us into Garnett (77.5 miles). A little longer stop to do more feet lube and we are headed on our way through town. If you don't think pacing is just as hard as doing the race (and more trying), then you've never paced a 100 miler. Gary, I love ya. Sorry you had to listen to me.

GARY: Sooo...you wanna run just a little?
RON: NO.
A few seconds go by and then shuffle...shuffle....trot.....(for all of 30 seconds or so I imagine)...back to hiking. For somebody fresh, I'm sure this pace is tough to bear :)

I had actually managed to stay pretty focused and awake to this point, but about 5:30am or so and only around a mile out from Richmond (86.5), I could not keep my eyes open. Weaving, jerking from almost falling asleep and knowing I needed to stop and pop a couple of blisters. I stumble into a chair, get my socks off and ask Richelle if she can help me pop a blister. She says "Uhhh...there aren't any blisters". Get my foot pulled up to get a better look at the ball of my foot and shit, that's not what I wanted to see. Basically I think the big blisters I had on the balls of both feet actually popped. So now all that loose skin from the blisters just basically pushed up in a pile. Well, looks like I'll keep going - blisters aren't a race stopper. As an added bonus, nothing is fixing the chaffing. Larry jumps back in here and we actually are able to pick up the pace slightly (sunrise is AWESOME). A little idle conversation while I mostly stare at my feet and we arrive at Princeton (93 miles). We make a conscience decision that I won't sit at all and try to just get in and out. This is the first time I've seen the BW and Brett since 6am Saturday, but they came out to cheer me on after getting a little bit of sleep from their successful completion of the 50. Larry is going to bring it home with me and it seems like I'm still maybe gaining a little on pace. About 2-2.5 miles out of Princeton I stop to ditch my jacket and stuff and realize.......hey......if I keep moving good.......I can.........GET BACK TO THE HOTEL ROOM AND TAKE A SHOWER before we have to checkout!!!!!!!! I can't make a PR, but man, I can SHOWER. The last 5 miles become important to my shower time. A big motivator was the BW, Brett, Christy, Jeff, Richelle and the girls following along and catching us at every mile cross road to yell encouragement for the last few miles. A couple of more miles in and we've actually passed people. Hey.....I can easily break 29 hours (and shower). A slight decent into town for the last 1.25 or so and......hey......I can break 28:50 (and shower). We hit the last straight away and see everyone again less than .5 from the finish line and......hey......I can break 28:45. I'm not sure what our pace was up that last incline, but it was pretty fair for a little fat boy with blisters on his feet and mondo chaffing. The timer stops at 28:44:12.....and I get to take a shower....
 
 

I like when the RD personally hands you the buckle, and Eric was right there to get a pic with me. I'm sad I didn't get Richelle in the finish line pics (Mile 90 Photography rules by the way), but the one with Sluggo, Spoon & The Carrot (sounds like a Dr Suess book) will always make me smile and remember the great time and what all those friends did to help me out.
Rick and Mile 90 Photography RULE

A great race made possible by the BW and friends that I'm pretty sure I don't deserve. Larry, Gary & Richelle (and girls) - love you guys. You were the key to my success! I have to give a couple of shouts as well:
The BW - LOVE YOU! Way to stay tough and get that 50 mile buckle!
Brett - Way to hammer down on that 50! Great race.
Kelvin - Excellent work on crushing your 100M PR!
Lana - Awesome first 50! This is only the beginning.
Christy - Ummm...Hell yea. 1st woman and course record! Well, I'm just going to go out and see what happens...
John - Sorry your first 100 didn't go to plan. You'll be back and get that buckle.
Roman & Kathy - You guys are flat out awesome. Regardless of outcome, it's always great to see you.

Ok, I'm over budget on words, but yes, I got that shower. Trying to rush around after a 100 and enjoy the stinging water on your chaffing is not all it's cracked up to be. The BW said "Are you alright?" several times as I grunted and groaned. Everybody got together to eat at Applebees before we left town and I wanted some Siracha Shrimp! Took one drink of a diet coke and knew it was going to be a long day. Got a whiff of something and almost got sick, so my Applebees post race consisted of hobbling out to the car only to wake up to everyone coming out the door and laughing at me...

Maybe next time on that shrimp.

No comments:

Post a Comment